Based on the unique respect-based philosophy of caregiving developed by Infant specialist Dr. Magda Gerber and pediatric neurologist Dr. Tom Forrest (The RIE Manual), our infant room was developed to promote independence and choices for infants. In our soft atmosphere you will not find swings or high chairs that can confine a child, instead they can move freely in their learning environment making choices. To assure that the unique strengths of each infant are recognized, respected and nurtured, our teachers observe the child, giving them time to be a self learner and initiator.
Bert and Ernie's Preschool and Infant Center also incorporates the workings of Linda Acredolo ph.D. and Susan Goodwyn Ph.D., authors of Baby Signs . Their research has revealed how experiences during the first three years of life profoundly influence intelligence, creativity, language development and even later math skills. Our infants are learning to communicate their needs, feelings, and thoughts with Baby Signs while exercising their developing minds.
- To provide basic trust in the infant to be an initiator, an explorer and a self learner.
- To provide independence for the infant in movement, choice and activities, facilitation time for uninterrupted play.
- To provide consistency, with clearly defined limits and expectations to develop discipline.
- To provide sensitive observation of the infant in order to understand his/her needs.
- To provide involvement of the infant in all care activities, allowing the infant to become an active participant rather than a passive recipient.
Please call for more information! 707-678-4440